Friday, June 18, 2010

A farmer's wife...

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a farmer's wife but I am in part!  Thane runs about 10 acres on his own of the family farm and helps Scott and Ronald with the rest.  I am sure that the 10 acres isn't officially considered a farm, but it is enough to cause stress.  For the most part it is really  having the farm is a good thing, because it helps us have extra money for the fun things.  BUT it is like the stock market up and down and unpredictable.
     Let me give you a run down on hay.  Usually we get four crops in the summer, the first is the biggest.  They hay is cut, and let to sit for four days to dry, it is then bailed and hauled in.  If during those four days if it rains, the hay does not dry and can mold.  IF you bail the hay before it is dry or wet, then it also molds.
     For the last two years we have lost alot of money on the first crop of Hay.  Now many people who don't understand farming would ask how do you lose money on Hay?   In one word RAIN.  If while the hay is on the ground it continues to rain, the hay never gets dry.  Last week before we left Thane cut the hay, knowing that it would rain, but worried that if he left it, it would fall over and mold anyway. Our theory was that the rain would not be too bad, and it was worth the risk.   It is a gambling game, if the hay gets too tall then it falls over, if you cut it and it gets too wet it molds.  Either way it has to be reduced in price and if it rains too much it is pretty worthless!  AGGH.  One field of Hay can go from $3000 to $500, pretty quickly.  This is the situation we are in this week. If the weather doesn't agree we are SOL (I know you all know what that stands for).   It causes alot of stress to Thane and I.  He has been watching the weather like a hawk and we both cringe when we see rain.  If is so frustrating to be so out of control!  Needless to say the today when the sun is shining I am happy, for more reasons than one. 
     I shouldn't really be complaining, it is just money, I am thankful for the most important things.  I will continue to pray for sunshine, and the stress should resolve soon:)

1 comment:

The Curtis Family said...

Yuck. I didn't realize that there was so much to it. Well, I am glad that you got your sunshine. You've been in the same boat with Tim (for different reasons of course). Tim keeps threatening to move to Arizona or somewhere else sunny if the weather didn't start cooperating. Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you. I miss you. When can we meet up?