My Dad's best friend and lifelong employee, Walt (grandpa great the kids call him), died this week of pancreatic cancer.
Believe it or not when I think of H and A sales I do not think of my dad first. I think of Walt, as long as I can remember Walt has been at H and A. At his graveside this week, it was said that he moved to Roy in 1972, that was the year I was born. I am sure that not long after that he started working at H and A. Even before my dad owned it, he worked for Harry. I remember those days even though I am sure that Nicki and Jess do not. I remember mom leaving me at the shop for one reason or another and Walt entertaining me. He was humorus, and would make fun of my dad. He would tell jokes, and always had a treat in "his beer fridge". Walt was always humble and would give anything to anyone. This was evident with many things, but most of all in the way that he treated animals. When I was little about 6- 7 Walt had a large pig, and he fed it everything. Dad was proud of this pig and took me many times to see if when it had babies. Recently, Walt took care of the cows at dad's house. Dad would often times complain that Walt over fed them. They were plump, and this made Walt happy. Walt also had a cat name Renegade, it loved Walt and the kids would chase the cat into the shop. There was safety in the shop for Renegade, and of course plenty of food. Things were simple with Walt. For many years he would find happiness, in his OLY beer and Soap operas while repairing appliances for dad. He really got in to the soaps and I remember dad making fun of him.
As a little girl Walt was scary to me, he had a fake eye. He lost it as a child. As we got older he would tease us with it. He would put it in his mouth, and let it roll on the floor. I now know that he waited until I was older to scare me with it. When I was little he must have been aware that I wasn't so sure of him.
My kids loved Grandpa Great, he would give them money for cokes, out of the machine that he stocked. He always had cookies, nuts, and tootsie rolls. He was good for the kids, and always there to watch over them when they played.
In his later years, Walt was a friend to me (even though he probably wasn't aware of it). He supported me, and encouraged me when I was at dad's . When I would call he ALWAYS knew where dad was, and would tell me if how to get a hold of him. He was trustworthy and one time came to my aid when I was stranded. He didn't know it but his humble nature, and simplicity has changed the way I look at things. He found happiness, (at least I think), in just work, in his family, and in life. Walt worked ten days prior to his death. I firmly believe that he knew that he was dying, and because his best friend (my dad), was struggling , with the loss of a sister, and with getting Grandma moved to Utah, he didn't tell a soul. I am sure that his pain was severe in those months and he continued to keep the shop going because it was what he loved doing, and because he loved my dad. His humility was evident until the very end. In a way this makes me sad but I must remember that was Walt, always thinking of someone else first. Being committed to my dad, and to his family. Not wanting anyone to worry, or see the effects cancer can have on a person.
Now I know that Walt is in a good, place, but maybe not a better place for him. His simplicity made him happy here on earth. I continue to strive for this quality. I am sure that his happiness will continue in heaven.
I am now left to worry about dad. He has lost a faithful lifelong employee and father-in-law, but most importantly he has lost his best friend. I worry that he has experienced so much loss that things will be different for him. I knew that even with Vanessa by his side, Walt was trusting and reassuring, and was so reliable dad would leave him responsible for everything. A really good friend told me this week, that when you lose someone so close you lose a part of yourself, I am sure that this is the case with dad. He has lost a part of his heart! I love you dad, and my prayers are with you. You have shown me strength lately that I knew you had but fortunately until now I have not had to Witness. I am hopeful things will settle down.
And to Walt, thanks for the many years of dedication to my dad and ultimately to me. You will be missed.
1 comment:
Jody, what a WONDERFUL tribute! Too bad you couldn't have read it at the funeral; it really hits the heart of Walt. Mom
Post a Comment