Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sex and Food.

The other day someone asked me what were the most common problems with patients.  The conversation was very brief and didn't amount to much, my answer was sarcastic, "It all has to do with Sex and Food!"  At the time, I didn't realize how true that answer was.  After I had the discussion, I starting pondering if I could put what I see in a category.  Well, although sarcastic my answer was all but true.
    People are motivated by needs.  Most patients have complaints that have to do with sex or food!  Let's take a typical day for example.  If a person sees me for high blood pressure, they have to watch what they eat, as it will elevated their blood pressure, and hypertension meds cause erectile dysfunction (and they hate that).  If they have depression they are usually not interested in Sex (the spouse usually complains) and the meds that I use for depression alter sex drive (see what I mean).  If someone has strept throat, many times they have a hard time eating.  If someone is overweight they want meds to lose weight, they want to know what foods they should eat.  Many times throughout the day while doing pap's people want to be checked for pregnancy, STD's or need birth control .  I print growth charts for every well child visit, and mom's and dad's are always concerned about what their child eats.  When should they start baby food, what food helps them sleep through the night, what formula should they use?  Is their child too heavy?  Does their teenager have an eating disorder?  What should they do to help their teenager not have premarital sex?  Aggh, it really does come back to those two needs!   How could two things be so important!  LOL

No comments: