Grandma moved from Arizona to Utah in August of last year. All of us were reluctant, as she had not lived in Utah for over 25 years. She had become accustomed to Arizona culture and weather, and had recently lost my aunt Patti. She was in a bad place emotionally and was forced to come here. This was hard for her, as grandma has never been forced to do anything. When she came I think that we were really worried, especially my dad. He had made the choice to bring her here and did not want anything to happen to grandma. It was bittersweet, I was excited to have her here, as long as I remember she has been in Arizona and my connection with her was limited by the miles, but all she had was left in Arizona, very hard for her.
As much as Nic and I tried to help dad and Vanessa, this has been difficult with our schedules. I have managed to find time on Sunday, I look forward to that time with her and she has taught me alot in the last few months. I started by being the nurse, thinking that I could come in and make it all better :). I helped dad set up Hospice, meds, and even helped to bathe grandma once a week. I loved this, it is my forte' and feel happy when things are accomplished and she is healthy. BUT, I have changed my outlook with Grams. I want to be a granddaughter and learn everything about her I can. I get excited to see her and more excited when she smiles when I walk in. I love hearing about first dates she had with grandpa, stories about dad, and struggles in her life. She in addition loves to her what my brats are doing. I am sad that I missed so many years of this with her, but grateful that I have it now. I find it interesting to see things in her that I have in me, not always good (He He!). I envy her as she has been through things in her life that people now a days would have never even dreamed of.
I think that Grandma looks forward to my visits as much as I do (at least I hope so), she loves to tell everyone that I am a "nurse doctor", and when I am not there I hear she tells them all that I know what is right for her (little does she know)! I love sitting with her and trying to beat her at Rummy :), she still, even though slightly confused beats me. I love seeing her with her teeth out, glasses off, and hearing aids out, she is so cute! I love seeing her do her "chicken dance" on the towel when she gets out of the shower. I love hearing the stories of her teasing the old ladies at the lunch table. I love her stubbornness, and love that she is so sneaky. Most of all I love the relationship we have now, and have to try and not feel sorry for all of the years I missed. I am so glad I got to share this time with her, I love you Grandma, Happy 93 birthday!!!
But, I know that I am not as photogenic as she is. :)
1 comment:
Some times I get jealous of the time you get with her. I am so proud of you and Nicki for "stepping up" and taking care of her. Just remember, you have to do that with mom too . . . HA HA HA.
Post a Comment