Our trip to Baltimore was more than entertaining. The culture was so different from what we are used to. I know that part of it was that we stayed in the heart of the city, but very different from Utah culture. Most of the people in Baltimore and DC were African American. We felt like the odd ones out. Homes were condo like and very close, space was very limited. Secondly, there were many, many people exercising throughout both Washington and Baltimore. Joggers were EVERYWHERE! I loved it as I am getting more and more interested in running. Of course, most of them were really skinny and running fast unlike me!
People were not as nice to each other as in Utah. I felt uncomfortable asking for things, like I do here at home. There were many homeless people and many people asking for money, luckily the security in the city was excellent, there was always someone within eyesight and I never felt unsafe.
Most interesting, were the pace that the easterner’s were in. They were always in a hurry. People would walk across the street on a green light in front on oncoming traffic, just to get ahead to the next block. We found many people honking. They honked when the person in front of them did not move immediately. At first I thought that it might be that they had noticed that we were tourists and did not want us to be in their way. After a few days, I noticed that it was just their way of living. They were trying to get to where ever they were going faster. They sped through red lights, without care. This was unlike most of us are in Utah.
I have to ask myself where they were going. Was it to work? Speed to work speed home, many times disregarding others, and disrespecting others. It made me question, moving faster to get where? Every day we move fast and forget why we are here. Are we speeding to our death? Moving fast but never getting where we want? Packing more and more in the day, so we have to move so fast we cannot think.
Maybe this was god’s way of reminding me to SLOW DOWN! I promise myself at least for a while (a week??) during the upcoming holiday that I am going to try and slow down, to try and simplify and enjoy the time I have. Now this is going to be hard for me, but I am going to make a conscious effort to do it. I am going to ask for help when I need it, and not feel guilty if I cannot do it all. Knowing me this might not be for a long period, but any change is better than what I am doing. Maybe changing from going 100 miles an hour to 80 miles an hour in my day will make me enjoy more of the things that are important. Because when I am dead my horn will not work! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment