I have to give credit where credit is due. I did not write this. Jesse did! Right now we are both are mourning the loss of dad, ironically, I put this on my blog to post three days before dad unexpectedly died. I loved it, as it was the way my dad lived, the rock that we all leaned on, needed, and loved. We are trying to find things within ourselves that we have not had to hunt for. We all are seeking for things we haven't had to find. We have always had the rock (no matter how many miles) to lean on to find those things that we were missing, now he is gone. What we must remember is we are still family, from birth to death, no matter what. This is what he wanted, more than ever, despite what happens, us to stick together. In the moments of his last breath, with Nicki on his other side, Jess on our minds, and many other family members in the room, I PROMISED dad one thing. That NO MATTER what I would do EVERYTHING in my power to keep us together. I will not let down my promise to him! Family forever, no matter what.
I love you guys!
"'BUILT LIKE A ROCK!" When I see one of your TV commercials, I tend to laugh out loud. I always make fun of the cowboy driving through the only big mud hole in sight;, the farmer using his Chevy truck while mending his range fences; or the construction worker hauling something ridiculously heavy. I don’t do this to detract from the commercial or because I don’t like the Chevrolet brand, actually quite the opposite. Let me explain.
I grew
up with my Dad's Chevy trucks. He has been a Chevrolet man for as
long as I can remember. You see, I am like most little boys; I
imagined my dad was Superman. He could do anything, fix anything,
build anything and his Chevy was always there to help. I knew that
he always made the right choices even down to the kind of truck he drove.
Now, my family has had many vehicles over the years, even some different
makes and models, but there was ALWAYS a Chevrolet truck in the driveway.
My dad still owns the one I remember the most....his beloved 1991
Silverado. This was the very first (and I'm sure the last) truck that my Dad
bought brand spanking new showroom floor. He was, and still is, so
very proud of that truck. When you created the
slogan “Built like a Rock”, you must have meant that particular
Silverado!
My dad is very much a family man. When he purchased
the 1991 model, it was meant to be a “dual purpose” truck. You
see, my dad owns a small business and the truck had to be 'flexible' enough to
help out with the business, as well as accommodate a young family.
Being a local small business owner, my father made his living (and still
does) by the sweat of his brow and strength in his hands. His
business, H & A Sales in Ogden, Utah is a simple, very small, family-owned
used appliance business. There are no company bells
and whistles or free hot dogs on Saturdays, just honesty and fair prices.
My Dad depended on his Chevy day in and day out.
It was the service call truck, the appliance delivery truck, the scrap
pile truck, the do-it-all truck and, at the end of the day, that truck served a
family too. During the last 22 years, I have seen it pull stumps
from the yard, pick up home repair supplies from the store, support family
vacations by pulling a trailer and boat, help neighbors, pull up fences,
haul hay, straw and feed for the cattle, deliver large appliances,
and much, much more. I have even seen it loaded down with 8 full size
refrigerators (on several occasions). Visually, the years have
taken a toll on this old beast, but it continues to work, just like my father.
I moved away from my hometown 5 years ago but recently returned to
visit my Dad. His health is reclining and he recently spent some
time in the hospital. He was anxiously waiting to get back to
work. He works not because he has to financially (although his
retirement income is very small), but because he enjoys it and it keeps him
moving. When I rounded the driveway to my Dad's home, I saw a
familiar sight, that 1991 Chevrolet. Now, the paint is faded and
chipped away, the interior is pretty much falling apart and there are a few more
dents and dings then I remember, but after over 500,000 miles it still runs and
goes to work almost every day...just like my Dad. Mechanically
speaking, it has worn out 3 transmissions, a few alternators and water pumps,
but still it hasn’t had any “real” engine problems. In fact, it
struck me as strange, almost symbolic, that it was still there. I
realized the truck was just like my old man, a rock, something strong and
dependable.
Now, I
think if you want to sell your audience on Chevy trucks, on a brand that “runs
deep,” show them the history behind a truck like my Dad's. Don’t
show them the shiny new Silverado pulling the boat; show them the one that has
been in the family for almost 25 years. Don’t show them the brand
new Silverado without a scratch; show them the one with over a dozen dents,
well-earned battle scars. Show the “new generation” our father’s
trucks....a TRUE legacy that Chevrolet can boast. Show them the
old and the new, one that has “been strong despite all the roads ahead.”
THAT should be your new advertising campaign!
Sincerely,
Jess Bidlack
\
1 comment:
I love you sister! If only dad knew what he built with all of us!
Post a Comment