As everyone probably knows, I am not a Christmas fan. Not necessarily do I hate it, but it is just not my favorite time. This explains why, (and EJ might not find this entertaining that I shared), last night, I was driving EJ to wrestling practice. I stayed at practice cause it allows me to get some charting done and Fremont is not close to our home. On the way over, we both had suckers, after promising that we would not tell anyone of our treat. He finished wrestling and I stopped and bought him a "secret" ice cream. As we were on the way home and in between his licks, we laughed, talked and he sang! It felt so right, and I really enjoyed the moments with him, alone.
Point is, I love those times so much more, than a 2 hour blow out of gifts and dysfunction! Christmas takes me 2 months to prepare for and 2 hours to get threw. So much work for so little time. I feel like the meaning is totally missed, and really have a hard time enjoying Christmas morning because of it. Ej's and my wrestling moments were not planned, and were so much enjoyment for me. I am so fulfilled by seeing the kids happy with the simple things and I am Happy with the simple things. Mom tells me that this is a quality, and if so I am so hopeful that my kids will have it too!
Christmas was uneventful. The kids got what they wanted (and I am in the hole), and seem to enjoy themselves. We went sledding, to the movies, to the lights, and ate good food, including my famous cinnamon rolls. The kids were easier this year as I had them make lists and show me things that they wanted. I also took them with me shopping, and they picked out what they wanted. I like this as I love to shop with them, and they like waiting for the things they get on Christmas. Works for both of us, as when I shop on my own I always seem to get the wrong sizes when I pick it out myself. The girls are getting really good at getting deals, and using coupons, just my style!
This year, we included mom and John of course, but we had dinner with Mary Jo and Ronald Christmas night. I have gotten to know them more and more, and quite enjoy helping them with life as they get older. Family and moments are what I should be looking for at Christmas time.
Merry Christmas, and Happy 2016!
No comments:
Post a Comment