Sunday, January 17, 2016

New York is not Hooper!





NEW YORK 11-2015








































Top of the Empire State Building. 


Riding our to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, on Hudson!






When we asked Hannah where she wanted to go in New York, before even thinking it was Carlo's Bakery, long trip to get there but did not let us down! 













Time's Square!!!












So it has been a while since I blogged, and I want to more than I do. The first of November we took Ethan and Hannah to New York. I am fortunate enough to get so much money a year to get me continuing education done. I decided to go to a conference in New York this year. Katie and Jerra got a chance to go with us to Washington DC three years ago. We decided just to take the twins this time. None of us had been to New York, and had no idea what to expect, but were excited to go. New York was so much fun, (and the conference was good), but after it was a few days it was time to come home! We were able to visit so many places. We saw, the 911 Memorial, Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, Empire State building, Central Park, and Carlos Bakery. We rode on a boat on the Hudson, and an open air bus. We ate good food and LOVED Time's square! The kids are getting old enough to enjoy things that they were not able to at a young age. It is fun to have them be able to take care of themselves. BUT, BUT, BUT, I decided that I want to be and remain in Hooper. I decided that people are nice, and kind here. Space is open and I can find happiness within my own home. New York was FULL of people that were not nice, crossed streets when they wanted in front of cars, and were always in a hurry to get to their next place. It took forever to get anywhere, and the smell of hot dogs was the only positive scent (except to Thane). The lights in New York never shut off, and the garbage was stacked in the streets. The hotel room we had was only as big as our bathroom at home.
    I think that the most amazing part of New York for me was the 9/11 Memorial. I have not seen a memorial as significant as this was to me. I suspect it is because I was alive and aware of the terrible things that happened on that day. I was pregnant with the twins and mom was at the capital in Washington DC on 9-11-2001. It was a scary day, and a day that changed our country's way of looking at national security. Knowing and being aware of this made the memorial so profound and real. Looking up at the New Trade Center, I felt petrified of how I would respond if a plane hit it!  Where I would go and what I would do?  Would we survive it?
   Despite what I loved about New York, I learned more from just walking down the streets then I did from the sites. I learned how grateful I am for the farm, the space, and the quiet. I am grateful that I can drive and get somewhere within a reasonable amount of time. I am really not worried about letting my kids go where they want in Hooper. I am secure in knowing that terrorism, will likely not be an issue. I am happy with my security, (due in part to my little bro) and peace. Visiting New York was a once in a lifetime chance, and I a glad that we got to experience it, but it made me more grateful again for what I have, and how I chose to live my life.




She "fits" better with Messi, then Gaga.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am SO thankful that you get to share such wonderful experiences with your children! The twins will never forget it!