Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Boundaries???

Today has been a tough day. I know it feels as if I am not happy and always complaining on this blog, but I remind myself that this helps me to process my life and is therapeutic. Over the past few days I have been having a difficult time keeping Ethan in line. Just recently, Hannah came home and told me that EJ had been in trouble. Sometmes I feel bad for EJ casue Hannah doesn't keep anything a secret andher poor brother can't hide anything from his parents becasue of her. I of course overreacted and marched over to the school to talk to the teacher. She informed me that it wasn't a big deal and that EJ had been caught sneaking into the school during recess with a few friends and playing hide and seek. Of course I was devastated that my son was not behaving. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that my kids are perfect, but I want them to behave socially! I expect them to behave in school and it concerns me that he thinks that he can be sneaky? So I disciplined Ethan and expected that this would not happen again. Well, today I was called from the teacher informing me that Ethan had pulled down his pants on the playground. OH MY GOSH!! I instantly felt as if I was an inadequate mother. Of course when I talk to my mom and Thane they thought it was funny and that of course it needed intervention but it was not as big of a deal as I was making it. This has bothered me all day. We are an open family but obviously we need to set boundaries for outside of our household. Writing this seems to calm my nerves about the situation, although I think that it is time for my little 3 pound baby to be treated like a little boy. Sometimes convincing him of his growing up is much easier than convincing me that he is growing, i want him to stay little. i am finding that it is very different raising a son than a daughter. I guess I just need to continue to stay consistennt with EJ and remember, Boys will be Boys!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am sorry but I am laughing and I shouldn't be. I can totally see him doing it though and in one more year I am sure Bodee would be right there doing it with him! A friend of mine just told me "The crisis of today is the joke of tomorrow." So just think tomorrow it will be funny.

The Curtis Family said...

I have to agree with Laura. I shouldn't laugh, but I am. However, I think it is always funnier when it isn't your own kid. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You are an amazing mom. Wouldn't it be nice if kids just did everything we told them to? Why do they have to exercise this free will of theirs? I guess sometimes kids have to push the boundaries to know how much wiggle room they have. He'll be fine. I don't think it is a reflection of your "mommy skills". Don't be too hard on yourself.