Tuesday, July 20, 2010

True Friends

     There are many different kinds of friends.  Those every day friends and those friends who are there no matter what!  Allison and I have known each other going on about 10 years.  It all started with Danville, alot of my happy moments started there.  Allison came to work with us before her pregnancy with Emily (2nd child of four)  We instantly became friends. After working together for a few years, Allison moved to Texas to allow her husband to complete Law school.  We remained friends through the move and talked then probably more than we do now.  Allison and Tim came back to Utah, she works as a nurse, and he is a Lawyer in Salt Lake. We try and get together whenever we can, (which isn't enough).  Last night we met at our "meeting place" (Olive Garden).  I was tired and had to encourage myself to get there.  Once I was there I was instantly in my comfort zone.  Allison makes me comfortable.  I can talk "anything" with her, and I do.  I have few friends that I love that much. 
    After leaving dinner last night, I thought about all of the challenges that Allison has been through.  Challenges that I am not strong enough to survive.  I am not sure that I could pick up my family and move.   Allison and Tim have a baby with hypoplastic left hard syndrome.  Although he is doing really well right now, his life will be filled with constant worries about his heart.  Someday he will have to have a heart transplant.  Living with the unknown would eat me alive.  I am not surprised with how she rolls with the punches.  She amazes me every time I am around her. 
     I think we surprise ourselves when things are put in front of us.  That comment in itself scares me.  What might I endure in my life, what lies in front of me?  Will I be able to endure it?  Allison made a comment to me last night about how she didn't think that she could make it through more college, and although I didn't share my thought I wondered if I could make it thorough what she is enduring?  Even though she didn't realize it last night, she gave me something I haven't had for a while.  Being Thankful, and enjoying the moment. She does this well, even with a child whose outlook isn't always "secure".   Lately I have not been living my motto to enjoy the moment.  I hope I will not have to have any tragic events in my life, but if I do I will be okay! I reminded myself through the tears while driving home that I need to stop and look at the great things I have, iincluding a great friend, I love you Allison.  Thanks for the great time! 

1 comment:

mommy1 said...

Jody...I have a friend like that, actually 2 friends (how lucky am I). Kris and Lori. I'm SO thankful that you have discovered such a 'soul' friend. They are in valuable in life. Be good to Alison! Love, Mommy