Thursday, March 24, 2011

Puerto Vallarta

     So I have to say that Puerto Vallarta was the best stop hands down. I do not remember much about it when we stopped there 14 years ago with mom and John.  Of course, Thane remembered everything, He has such a great memory.  It has changed quite a bit (i guess) and it  much more tourist friendly.  It has a Walmart and Sam's club walking distance from the ship.  Getting across the busy street is kind of another story, but we did it. 
     When we arrived in Vallarta, we were all excited, again the captain of the ship turned it right around and got us in a little space and parked without any problems.  Amazing!!  We got off the ship and instantly we were in a large flea market, the kids again were in heaven.  I tried to distract them from buying anything as we were going zip lining and I did not want to drag their treasures around the whole day.  Vallarta was fun, very tourist friendly although not as many beautiful beaches.  As we were walking, EJ spotted a seal on the walkway, he was with a few men who asked us if we wanted a picture with him. I instantly was intrigued.  We walked up to the seal and I was not sure I wanted to get close.  I was upset that they had paraded this seal out to make money.  I started talking to the guy and he quickly told me that it was a recovery effort.  They were raising money to help injured seals recover and return to the seal where they belonged.  He went on to tell me that this very seal had been injured and had quickly became friends with the people that had helped him.  I was leery, because I had heard many stories throughout the week that were not true. The kids of coure did not relent, I finally caved. I told the kids I would take the picture.  I was not interested in getting close, Until....  The seal turned and planted a kiss right on Hannah's cheek, holding her tight with his fins.  THEN... I was in.  This was the cutest seal I have ever seen, I walked over and instantly he hugged me and planted his fishy mouth right on my cheek. I melted.  He would squeeze me when he kissed me just like he was giving me a hug. I loved it. The kids loved it too. At the end, one of the recovery workers discovered that EJ was the only boy in this family of teenage girls, and he quickly took a liking to him.  I guess he felt sorry? He asked EJ if he wanted to ride on the Seals back.  The seal jumped down from where he was giving hugs and Ej jumped on his back.  EJ was in heaven!!  It was so cute!  It was another one of my very favorite moments.  The seal was then taken back to his pool in the back of the truck. I guess they only allow him to be out for about 30 minutes.  When I saw that the men were taking real good care of the seal and the truck was built with a pool in the back, I felt more comfortable about giving them my money, maybe the whole thing was a ploy but at least he had some breaks for the sun.   
     We then quickly made our way to the place that we were suppose to meet the Zip lining crew, took a hour long ride up the mountains into what EJ siad was the "jungle".  Everyone was so excited, I was nervous.  We spent time getting into our gear, which included a bandanna, (Jerra liked this) our tethers, clips and gloves.  I got more nervous, not necessarily about zip lining but nervous about letting my kids do it.  What if something happened and they fell, how would I get them out of the "jungle" in Mexico??  I quickly noticed that the men who helped us were excellent, they taught us what to do and made sure each of us were secure.  As soon as the lesson was done, Jerra and EJ were up the hill, What the Hell!  SLOW DOWN.  Before I could finish the 1/2 mile 100 stair climb, they were off onto the first zip line!  OMG!  Don't fall, Hang on!  AGGH!  I thought I would puke.  The first line, was just for pictures, and was only about 40 foot long, can we do that again, I asked?  Can my kids just stay here?  SLOW DOWN!  Wait for MOM!!!  NO they didn't want to wait I tured around and they were gone off the second platform, bye mom!!!   OMG WAIT....  200 meters long, and 800 feet in the air, what if this damn thing breaks?
     Well, we stayed alive, and I never did fully catch up with the kids.  They would holler for me to HURRY, but climbing up hill is not what I do best.  My kids LOVED this.  It was very safe and I would highly recommend it now!  Now that I am home.  IN the end we ended up zip lining on 14 lines, the longest was about 1/4 mile long, and the highest was almost 900 meters in the air.  We went over rivers and went through trees, both over and under.  When I got to about the ninth line, I began to relax and really enjoyed myself.  It was quite entertaining and we only had a few pitfalls.  One was with EJ.  He was so little that the guys on the platforms had to push him hard to make him make it across (believe me this wasn't the problem for me), he did not make it all the way across one time and they guy had to shimmy out to get him and Jerra, who had went to fast and got stuck with EJ.  It was all fine as EJ and Jerra loved being STUCK.  As for me and Thane, our weight was a hindrance!  We got going really fast and had to brake, the guys on each platforms had to 'help" us stop.  I kicked one guy right in the groin, almost skewing him with my leg as he caught me off one  of the platforms. It is funny now but, was very embarrassing, as he dropped to the ground!. Thane came in too fast one time and was not caught on time and hurt his back.  At the end, all was good (just 115 dollar visit to the Cruise doctor for muscle relaxers for Thane's back).
   At the bottom of the zip lines, there was a restaurant and a little zoo. The restaurant was along side the river we had zip lined above just moments previously.  It was really beautiful. We sat and ordered some appetizers, and got to see many of the animals that were there.  There were snakes, lizards, sloths and monkey's.  We went over to see them and one of the guys noticed that we were interested and asked if me and the kids wanted to feed them.  Of course!!!  The man washed the kids' hands and put a small amt of Yogurt into each of their hands and LET THEM IN THE CAGE!  Monkey's with monkey's!  I loved it.  We were overwhelmed to be actually be inside the cage.  All of my monkey's quickly stuck their hands out and were not the least bit scared to have the monkeys eat out of their hands.  It was great.  I didn't get the best pictures, it was not a big cage, and the little monkey's were quick.  The man then asked if I would like to feed the BIG monkey's?  Just like the seal I was apprehensive at first.  The monkey's that I was asked to feed were much bigger than those the kids fed.  The kids were not allowed to get in the cage of the bigger monkey's.   The big monkey's had injured one childs small finger in the past.  Trust me I felt much more comfortable after hearing that!  Before letting me and two others in the cage, the man made sure that all of our pockets were empty he said that the monkey's had stolen cell phones that were very hard to retrieve once in the hand of the animal.  I laughed when he told me this, even felt more at ease!!  Twice today, felt the nausea rise in my throat.  The man opened the cage using a squirt bottle to keep the monkey's from getting out.  I wished that is all it would take to keep my monkey's disciplined!  The man poured yogurt in the other's hands and let me have the yogurt cup.  The monkey's loved me because of that cup.  They crawled on my head and on my shoulders.  I was a little scared, but thrilled to have them so close to me.  I love the pictures as they really tell you how scared I was, but a great experience. 
     We then took a long ride back, I smelled of yogurt and sweat of course!  It was very humid and about 90 degrees.  Of course, when we returned to the port the kids wanted to go shopping, and that we did.  They spent their money and bought Mexican dresses, a wooden shark, some glass blown lizards and scorpion..
Later that night Katie, Jerra and I walked over to the Walmart to get some Diet Coke (of course).  What an experience!  Even though we could see the Walmart we had to cross the street to get there!  People in Mexico just don't drive with the same rules as we do.  We did make it and then explored the a Walmart in Mexico!  Very interesting for me and the kids.  We bought some Mexican gum, some Mexican Diet Coke and (drum roll)  KINDER EGGS!  Yes Mexico has KINDER EGGS!  Jerra and Katie were so excited to take those eggs back to the ship to give to  EJ. (Kinder eggs have become very popular to our family as they come from Germany, EJ has found these very entertaining BECAUSE inside each chocolate egg is a surprise.  Kind of like a happy meal toy!)  When we returned to the ship EJ was excited to get the eggs but quickly figured out that Mexico kinder eggs did not have the "quality" toys that the German eggs have.  Ej told us that he only wanted German eggs from now on. Jess keep sending them! 
     This was really a great day. We were in Puerto Vallarta from 7am to 10pm, and had lots of opportunity to see alot.  I would really  have liked to spend another day here.  We were all sad to get back on the ship.  We knew that we were headed home and that in itself was disturbing. 
Sorry for the sideways pics can't figure out how to turn them and TIRED!













2 comments:

Jess said...

I can't believe how much I love reading your blog. I don't know if it just makes me feel "connected" or if I just like hearing about your adventures; either way thank you!!! Tell EJ I will continue to send eggs, but the German Gov. scans packages really close around Easter, so I will have to wait. Maybe I can bring some back when we come home.

The Curtis Family said...

What a fun vacation!!! I finally got a chance to sit down and read all of it.

Life has been crazy lately. Tim's dad passed away on the 11th and we just got back from Texas last week. Anyway, needless to say,things have been busy around here but I am really glad that I had a minute today to sit and read through all of your posts.

We will have to get together soon. I would love to hear all about it in person. We leave for Cancun in May and I would love to hear any advice you might have for me (especially on where to find the seasickness patches).

I hope that you are doing well now that you are home and getting back into your routines. I think about you all the time. I hope to hear from you soon.